Monday, June 29, 2009

In Memory of Edith!




Today, with a cup of tea in hand, I sat out on our deck and reflected on the last couple of weeks. WOW, what a whirlwind! Dan received a phone call from his sister telling him his mom had unexpectedly taken a turn for the worst. This was on Saturday, and Monday morning we received another phone call telling us to come home. She died at 7:00pm and we arrived at 1:00 am, 6 hours later. His brother and 3 sisters were waiting for us in her room. Everything was left untouched. She laid asleep in her overstuffed chair with a blanket tucked around her neck. The family left the two of us to say our good-byes. I watched as Dan gave her one more hug…one more kiss…and one more time he whispered in her ear, “I love you, mom.”…even though they had said good-bye the day before. She had hoped she would be able to celebrate her 96th birthday June 30ieth, but she didn’t quite make it.

As I sat looking out over the horizon from my deck, I reflected on what she left behind…her jokes, her wit, her choices, her habits, her circumstances in life, her family…all of which will echo down through the generations to come. What did she mean to me and to others? Where did she leave her mark? Was it meaningful? Was she happy? Did she make a difference?

My thoughts couldn’t help but turn inward. What about the legacy I am leaving behind? Am I living my life with the end in mind? What are the things about my life that will echo down through the generations? How I want my life to finish should be reflected in how I am living it today. What do I see? Do I like what I see? Before I die who do I want to be? What do I want to do? What do I want to have? Who do I want to help? What do I want to enjoy? What do I want to leave behind? OK…OK ENOUGH!!! Too much food for thought!

Edith Butkowski at 95 years of age left behind 6 children…30 grandchildren…59 great grandchildren…and 9 great-great grandchildren. Her life and Godly character impacted her family, her friends, and her community in so many ways. Her life was all about serving others. What an incredible legacy!!! Did she make a difference? Yes, in so many people’s lives. She made a difference in my life… She gave me Dan!!

No comments:

Post a Comment