Monday, June 22, 2009

Celebrating 35 Years Together






Picture this 35 years ago…four bathing beauties basking in the sun in the backyard of my home in Story City, Iowa. My sisters and I were experiencing the “calm” before the “panic”. I was getting married the next day. It was so peaceful as we listened to the wind whistling through the trees, and felt the cool breeze, putting us all to sleep. A couple hours later we woke up in a panic…I was burned to a crisp. What in the world was I thinking? I guess creating a memory took precedence over having common sense …which is often the case with me. The next day I painfully eased my arms into my long-sleeved wedding dress and prayed like crazy I wouldn’t peel before the ceremony, which by the way lasted an hour and 45 minutes.

That was 35 years ago…its hard to believe we just celebrated our 35th wedding anniversary, June 2nd. Sitting at the restaurant we began to reminisce the past 35 years together…the fun, laughter, hard times, good times, 5 girls…infancy, childhood, youth, adults…births, education, marriage; ministering in Clarksville (Tn.), San Bernardino (Ca), and Little Rock (Ar.). We talked about love, memories, trust, loyalty…and on and on…and on and on we went. Our life together has been so rich.

But we also talked about how it is harder now to find time to celebrate. It is just the two of us…no one giving input as to how we should celebrate our anniversaries…our birthdays…our holidays...all the milestones in our lives. But does it really matter…it would be much simpler to let them pass by unannounced. Did I really just say that??? OH YES IT MATTERS!!! This is the time we need to dream together…evaluate where we have been , where we are now… and set new goals for where we want to be 5…10…15 years from now. Very important years are ahead of us personally, in our marriage, and with our ministry. We must keep dreaming and celebrating life together!

I made a “sweet connection” 35 years ago to the “love of my life”. And that connection grows stronger everyday...and will continue to grow "till death do us part”!





3 comments:

  1. Very excited to have found your blog - Congrats on your 35th wedding anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your new blog! I love your wedding photos.. what a beautiful couple!

    ReplyDelete